Enhanced Skills Driver Training Schools Driver Services
The Secretary of State office licenses and regulates Enhanced Skills Driver Training Schools that teach advanced driving skills, such as emergency braking, crash avoidance and defensive driving techniques to licensed drivers for a fee. For more information, please visit the Enhanced Skills Driver Training Schools section. Please refer to the Administrative Rules for complete requirements.
Your location must:
- Be commercially zoned.
- Have a minimum of 150 square feet of office space.
- Have a working telephone listed for driving school.
- Have signage indicating office hours (Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-7 p.m., minimum eight hours per week).
- Be owned or leased by the enhanced skills driving school.
Training Vehicle Requirements
Training vehicles must:
- Be insured for $10,000 property; $50,000 bodily injury and death of one person; $100,000 bodily injury and death of two or more persons.
- Be in the classification for which the instructor is licensed.
The following applications must be completed and mailed to the Secretary of State's office if applicable. All forms are available online. It is the school's responsibility to reapply each year. By law, school applications must be submitted at least 15 days prior to the expiration date of the license. Upon receipt of the documents, the Commercial Driver Training Section will contact you to schedule initial inspections of property and processing of applications. For information regarding curriculum, please refer to the Administrative Rules.
- Agreement between Parties for Use of Vehicles by Enhanced Skills Driver Training Schools
- Application for Enhanced Skills Driver Training Instructor
- Enhanced Skills Driver Training School Application for Branch Office License
- Enhanced Skills Driver Training School Application for Main License
- Enhanced Skills Driver Training School Insurance Certificate
- Enhanced Skills Driver Training School Oral Contract and Agreement Compliance
- Schedule I — Personal History of Enhanced Skills Driving School Owner or Manager
- Schedule II — Safety Inspection Enhanced Skills Driving School Motor Vehicle Fleet (Supplement — Additions and Deletions)
Application Fees (two-year license)
- $500 — commercial school fee
- $70 — commercial school instructor fee (per instructor)
Mail checks payable to Illinois Secretary of State and mail to:
Illinois Secretary of State
Commercial Driver Training Section
650 Roppolo Dr.
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007