Trademark/Servicemark Search Business Services
- You may search the Trademark/Servicemark database by Registration Number, Name of the Mark or Registrant (owner of mark).
- You may view a Trademark/Servicemark Detail Report. The database is updated in real time.
Mark Detail Report
- The Detail Report for includes the name of the mark, registration number, type of mark, classification number, date of registration, expiration date, dates of first use and description of goods/services. Also included is the registrant information; i.e., the name of the owner of the mark, mailing address for the owner and type of ownership.
- Trademark/Servicemark searches also are available by calling 217-524-0400. A certified copy of any file may be obtained by sending a written request to the Trademark/Servicemark office, Rm. 330 Howlett Bldg., Springfield, IL 62756. Please include the Name of the Mark, the Registration Number and a $5 fee payable to Secretary of State by check or money order.
Illinois Trademark/Servicemark Overview
- The Department of Business Services, Trademark/Servicemark Section registers and renews trademarks and servicemarks in Illinois under Illinois Compiled Statutes, 765 ILCS 1036/Trademark Registration and Protection Act.
- Registration of trademarks and servicemarks helps provide protection for names, logos and other symbols used to identify the goods and/or services of people doing business in Illinois. The registration of a mark is permissible and is not compulsory.
- The Trademark/Servicemark office acts in an administrative capacity only and cannot give legal advice. The Secretary of State’s office does not resolve infringements, disputes or conflicts regarding marks.
- A person, corporation, LLC, LP, RLLP or other type of business entity that uses a Trademark or Servicemark in this state may file an application with the Secretary of State’s office for registration of such mark.
- A trademark is any word, name, symbol adopted and used by a person, corporation, LLC, LP, RLLP or other type of business entity to identify the goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others.
- A servicemark is any word, name, symbol adopted and used by a person, corporation, LLC, LP, RLLP or other type of business entity to identify those services and distinguish them from the services of others.
- Servicemarks receive the same protection as trademarks but are meant to distinguish services rather than products.
- Trademarks and Servicemarks are effective for five years and may be renewed within sixty days prior to the expiration date. A renewal notice is sent to the Registrant at least 60 days prior to the expiration date.
The Department of Business Services Database includes information regarding corporations, not-for-profit corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability companies and limited liability partnerships, as well as, other business-related information. This database is provided to the public for individual searches only. The use of this Web site or database to copy or download bulk searches or information is prohibited. Pursuant to statute, the Department of Business Services offers information for sale. For contract information, please call the Department of Business Services at 217-782-6961.
Please be advised that the information contained in this database is the property of the Office of the Secretary of State for the State of Illinois. Any unauthorized use of the database, unauthorized access, removal of data, copying or downloading of the database information is prohibited by criminal statutes, including the sections covering the offenses of computer tampering and aggravated computer tampering (720 ILCS 5/16D-3; 5/16D-4). Violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.